INEC

On Friday, the Independent National Electoral Commission ( INEC) released the final list of candidates for the upcoming governorship election in Ondo State.

The governorship election has been scheduled on October 10, 2020.

Festus Okoye, National Commissioner and Chairman of the Information and Voters Education Committee, said in a statement in Abuja that four political parties that had previously made legitimate appointments had withdrawn their candidates.

He announced that the electoral umpire had held its weekly regular meeting on Thursday, where the election of the governorship of Ondo had been addressed.

Okoye recalled that the Commission had earlier published the provisional list of candidates for the election comprising 17 political parties.

Also read:  2023: Top 10 Politicians aiming to succeed Buhari as Nigerian President

“In accordance with section 35 of the Electoral Act, 2010 (as amended) and as provided in the Timetable and Schedule of Activities released on 6th February 2020, withdrawal and substitution of candidates ended at 6.00pm on 18th August 2020,” the commissioner said.

He said “the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Action Democratic Party (ADP) and the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) withdrew and substituted their Deputy Governorship candidates while the Zenith Labour Party (ZLP) substituted both its Governorship and Deputy Governorship candidates.

Also read:  PDP to welcome Obaseki, after being kicked-out of APC

“Consequently, INEC has published the final list of nominated candidates in our State and Local Government offices in Ondo State. The list is also available on our website and social media platforms.

“Political parties, candidates in the election and members of the public are advised to check the final list of candidates and be guided accordingly.”

9jatalks Politics News

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here